Rice ‘N’ Roti Recipes: Pumpkin
Updated: Dec 28, 2020
Somebody seh pumpkin an' roti? It's a West Indian classic! Eat it fuh breakfast, lunch or dinner. That sweet pumpkin with soft, flaky, slightly salty roti is de perfect marriage!
It can be tricky to find pumpkin all year round in the UK, but don't panic: butternut squash tastes just as good! Try it with prawns for a seafood twist, or keep it simple and ital.
- 1 tbsp veg/rapeseed oil
- 1 large butternut squash or pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, & cut into 2cm chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 150g prawns (optional)
- 1 tsp seasalt
- 2 springs onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
1. Heat oil in a sautéing pan. On a medium heat, add onions and cook until soft and translucent.
2. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
3. If using prawns, add now and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add butternut squash and season with 1tsp salt. Toss all the contents together and add 100ml water.
5. Cook on low heat for 25 minutes, tossing halfway through cooking. If the mixture is
catching at the bottom of the pan, add a few more splashes of water.
6. By now, the squash should be cooked through. Using the back of your spatula or a potato masher, gently mash the squash until it is a mushy consistency. Mix in the sugar and spring onions, and more salt, if desired.
7. Serve with rice or roti and your favourite hot sauce.
By Nirvana Ramtirat at Pepperpot Marinades (@pepperpot_kitchen)