Colours Carnival LTD
Colours Carnival Home Lime recipes: Jerk pork tacos
What's a carnival without some jerk? Juicy, tender jerk pulled pork on a soft taco, garnished with mango salsa and crunchy coleslaw; perfect to eat in yuh garden, living room or, even betta, whilst yuh bussing a wine to some sweet Soca music! Dis a long one - but so worth it - so get prepping!
Jerk pulled pork:
- 1.5kg pork shoulder
- 200ml jerk marinade
- 1 firm, ripe mango, peeled and 1cm diced
- 1 tbsp finely diced red onion
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- Juice of half a lime
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
Red cabbage & carrot coleslaw
- 1/2 red cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 3 or 4 carrots, coarsely shredded
- 50g raisins
- 40g chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 100g mayo or to your taste
- Sugar to taste (optional)
1. Place the pork shoulder on a large piece of aluminium foil and marinate with 150ml jerk marinade. Wrap the foil around the meat as air tight as possible and leave in the fridge overnight.
2. Combine the mango salsa ingredients and refrigerate. Combine the coleslaw ingredients and refrigerate.
3. Light your grill. If oven cooking, heat oven to 130°C. Place meat on a trivet and rest trivet over a pan containing about 3cm water. This will help control the cooking temperature.
4. Grill the pork shoulder long and slow for 4 hours or until meat is tender and falling apart.
5. After 4 hours, remove the jerk pork from grill or oven. Open foil packet and pull the meat apart with 2 forks. Mix the remaining 50ml of jerk marinade into the meat and return to the grill or oven with the foil packet opened for 10 more minutes or until the meat edges are golden and crisp.
6. Warm the tacos, assemble with meat, salsa and coleslaw, then take a big bite. It taste good, don't it?!
By Nirvana Ramtirat at Pepperpot Marinades (@pepperpot_kitchen)